Tuesday 29 April 2008

Puddings

Baby had to cook a famous chocolate recipe at school today. The last cookery practical of his GCSE. He choose Mississippi Mud Pie. I imagined it to be really sickly but actually it was lovely. This is the recipe that his teacher found for him.

Mississippi Mud Pie
4 oz crushed digestive biscuits
2 oz melted butter
1 oz demerara sugar

14 oz milk chocolate
8 oz butter
2 tbsp boiling water
10 fl oz single cream
12 oz dark muscovado sugar
6 eggs.

Biscuit crumb base to go on the base of an 8 in loose bottomed cake tin.
Pre-heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5
Make the filling by putting the butter, chocolate, coffee and water in a large pan and heated gently until the butter and chocolate have melted. Take off the heat, and add the cream, sugar and eggs. Pour onto the biscuit base.
Turn the oven down to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours until set. Cool before removing from tin.




I am not obsessed with puddings honestly. I don't cook then for months on end but somehow this is the third one this week. The others don't count as we took them out and shared them with friends!

We were also talking about old British Puddings. I remember Apple Snow but couldn't remember what it was. I have been given this recipe

6 large apples - peeled, cored and chopped
45 ml water
200 g white sugar
1 g ground cinnamon
0.5 g ground cloves
3 ml vanilla extract
1 egg white

In a large saucepan combine apples and water and cook, covered, over low heat, until frothy, 15 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, cinnamon, cloves and vanilla. Let cool.
In a medium bowl, whip the egg white until stiff peaks form. Fold into the cooled apple mixture
I guess the raw egg makes this one a no no for some for some people but I think I might give it a go. Everyone always likes the bowl when I am making cakes anyway so that get so exposure to raw egg white.

I personally like Suet Puddings. We have about one year but they are lovely. I would only use vegetable suet because I have made a jam roly poly in the past with normal suet and it tasted distinctly meaty.

I think its time I started looking around for some low fat & low sugar puddings!

2 comments:

  1. How much coffee in the first pudding?& what kind? essence, instant, made up, un-made up, filter coffee, strong? It looks a great pudding, but I'll have to hide the recipe from Annon who is making chocolates at every available opportunity (& eating them!)

    I've finally been able to comment on your blog ~ I found you via RhondaJean & you're on my google tabs now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Killi
    Nice to hear from you. We didn't include the coffee. I removed it from the ingredients but forget to prune it from the directions. Thats the problem. I love making these puddings but if we have them all the time we aren't going to be able to fit through the doors!
    I'll be popping over to see you shortly!
    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete

My life

My wonderful husband has died. He was in hospital for some weeks but this was very unexpected. I won’t be reading or writing for the foresee...