Monday 16 March 2009

Natural team work

Well yesterday trip to fill the car up with LPG was nothing like as dull as it should have been. ON the way back, at a point where two motorways converge, the car next to me flipped onto its roof. It got over to the hard should as soon as I could but still had to run a fair way back to the accident. I am pleased to say that loads of people stopped to help. As I was running towards the car I could see how badly it was squashed. To start with i was worrying about being able to remember how to CPR and other first aid things but once I saw the car I assumed I wasn't going to need it as no-one could possibly have got our of that car alive. As I got past the car I found that other people had already got mother and child out of the car. Mum was bleeding quite a lot from hand and leg wounds but not head injury or major organs effected. Daughter was having cuddles and wanted her teddy! My god, I have never been so please to not be needed.

I was really impressed how everyone turned into a team without any planning at all. A lorry pulled across the two lanes to stop anyone hitting us as we cleared her papers out of the lane (she was a solicitor and worried about confidential client papers). Someone with a torch then stood out form the accident and moved drivers to a single lane to pass us. A first aider was already stopping the bleeding by compressing the major wound. Another girl was cuddling the daughter and chatting to her. A few more people gathered the papers. Others with torches attracted attention so that the emergency services could find us. Two minutes after I arrived a student doctor turned up as well and took over.

Aside from thinking how lucky they had been to be going home that night I was also thinking 'my god, how did that happen'. Do we all walk this close to the end all of the time and just not realise it? I suspect we probably do.

5 comments:

  1. Yes we do. It's amazing we get out of bed every morning knowing what could happen but then staying home is no protection either. So glad everyone survived and so good of you to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure events like these happen all over, daily, but until we happen upon one or read/see/hear about it we tend to forget how close we, ourselves are . . . .

    And, lucky you, lol -

    I'm tagging you to participate in the Snippets Alphabet Challenge! :-) Please follow the link to my final Snippets Alphabet post for the very easy instructions. Good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The goodness of people at times like these is very moving - witnessing these incidents can create long lasting changes in a person, I think.

    Glad you were safe ;)
    Sparkly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was quite warmed by the response of everyone. It certainly makes you think though.
    Thatnks Kadeeae, I will be over to play, sounds fun.
    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a doctor driving behind us when s drove me (in a sidecar) under an oncoming milk tanker.

    When I lived in Somerset, I was on hand to help out at 2 RTAs outside my house. With the second 1 I stood in the middle of the road to slow traffic coming up a steep hill, so they didn't run over the bike rider who'd been knocked off & was lying in the road, or run into the ambulance at the top of the hill. I stayed there until the police took over traffic duty.

    ReplyDelete

My life

My wonderful husband has died. He was in hospital for some weeks but this was very unexpected. I won’t be reading or writing for the foresee...