Tuesday 22 November 2011

In the beginning

This is my first ever blog post from 2007. I thought it might be interesting to look back.
Like so many others I am beginning to notice that I want to make changes in my life.

Everything is happening too quickly and in such confusion. Its always Monday, always Christmas, always washing day, its always ages until pay day. I moan about people wasting food when I read a newspaper article, and then I throw away something from the back of my fridge which has somehow got overlooked as my week rushed past me.

It is time to slow down. Simplify and de-clutter are the buzz words but I visualise something more like a pruning. My cherry tree benefits from this when we remember to do it, so why shouldn't we too. Pruning can bring clarity and definition as it cut away the old dead wood.

My home needs to be the centre of my world. At the moment I expect a lot from it without giving it time and attention. The house itself is quite a small traditional semi built in 1908. It is packed to the eaves with far too much junk but it is a happy house and always full of visitors.

I work full time and that isn't likely to change for a few years. I need to pay the mortgage but also I am lucky enough to that my job is important and the sort of work I would volunteer for even if I didn't need a salary. This is a good thing but work must also be kept in perspective. It cant be the centre of my universe.

So, we are content with ;-
the family, two lovely & occasionally troublesome teen aged boys and one grumpy old bloke (who is slightly younger than me but don’t remind him as he gloats).
Still content with the family. Kids have grown out of their stroppy stage and poor old Fahed had depression and we didn’t realise it.

The animals - two naughty and adorable cats and a chatty cockatiel. My adored cats have been gone for years now and I still miss them daily. My cockatail is still chatty but now he has the run of the house without the pesky cats.

The job Our organisation merged with two others so it hadn’t been dull. In fact it has been a real stretch but I had suitably sized pay reviews so it’s all good now.

The car - ancient Astra estate. Still got it but I feel it might be a bit closer to the scrapyard in the sky than previously.

The house - small but perfectly formed, however the extension is nearly finished.
Extension is finished but still a bit of renovation to do.

The extension - home built by us, except for some of the electrics, and mostly from recycled and scrounged building materials.
Yaay, all done.

The garden - still suffering from the building work but it was rather cute before and will be again.
Looking much better with just a few more jobs outstanding

The allotment - the sister and I spend a few happy hours each week in the 'green gym' which is just 10 minutes walk down the lane.
Sadly couldn’t keep up with the weeds and had to hand over to someone with more time on their hands.

and we are slightly less content with;-
the overcrowded house Still a bit tight but much easier since I got rid of so much stuff.
the 'lost' things which are often re-purchased because I cant find the originals.
Haha, cant remember the last time this happened.

the food which get thrown out because i forgot it needed producing at meal times.
Still happens but very infrequently. Soup is the answer, everything can go in there!

the birthdays & anniversaries which get forgotten and the associated guilt buying
.No more, diary software saved me from desfent into chaos.

the 'cant find anything to wear to work' about 4 times every week. Nope, small and basic wardrobe of work clothes and now we have a Friday dress down day so even better.

The grumpy old blokes blokes business, which is taking a long time to build up and which is supposed to support me in old age!
We bailed on this sadly. We learnt some lessons which we need to remember if we start up again. He now has the same job but employed so now risk. The pension is planned as rental properties instead of swim school.

I feel a plan of action is required!! Tonight I will sit and knit my winter scarf as I make my plans.
I have no idea what happened to that scarf!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life

My wonderful husband has died. He was in hospital for some weeks but this was very unexpected. I won’t be reading or writing for the foresee...