Friday 6 January 2012

Perfect way to use up fruit

I had a soft pear, a handful full o somewhat dodgy apple and the ever present punnet of kiwi fruit. I can't abide waste, especially of food, so I thought it was time to be creative. I also found two container with a small amount of toffee sauce knocking around int he fridge door.
It may not sound very appealing but by the time it had become a toffee fruit crumble it had become delicious. I know this as my sons daughter in law commented so on Facebook.

This is what I did. Peel the apples and pear and slice all the nice flesh into a pyrex pie dish. Microwave the leftover toffee sauces to make it easier to get it out of the jar & tube. Squeeze over the fruit and then swirl it up to ensure the fruit is not exposed and can go brown. Cut all of the kiwi fruit in half and scoop the flesh out and into the fruit mixture.

Rub together 200g of butter, 300g of flour and 175g of sugar until it resembles bread crumbs. Tip this over the fruit mixture and shake it a little to flatten out any mountains.

Cooker in a medium over until the crumble is browned and the hot fruit mix is coming up in little volcanic blobs through the crumble.

Serve with a little cream that was hanging around from Christmas.

The consensus amongst my target audience was 'awesome'.

2 comments:

My life

My wonderful husband has died. He was in hospital for some weeks but this was very unexpected. I won’t be reading or writing for the foresee...